Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Start of two eras...

Welcome to the inagural post of the OKC Supersonics blog, as well as the first game of the Kevin Durant era in the NBA! This blog is obviously going to focus on the Seattle Supersonics, and their new direction, centered on the aforementioned Mr. Durant. The team has a lot really young talent, and it is going to be exciting to watch them grow together over the next few years. I have a feeling we're going to have a lot to talk about as the team grows into a contender.

As you might be able to tell from the title...I'm from Oklahoma. Which isn't as bad as it might sound. But my interest in the Sonics isn't quite as innocent as most of their fans...as I'm openly rooting for them to be moved to Oklahoma City. We had a taste of NBA basketball for the last two years with the hornets, and now we are ready for for a team to call our own. And I'm really hoping that team is the Sonics.

But the focus of this blog is going to be on the team, not the location. And as I said there is ALOT to be excited about. The new ownership has blown up the franchise, and has made a lot of choices that have really impressed me. The hiring of Sam Presti seems particularly inspired. In a league with a hard salary-cap you have to be smart and lucky. Grabbing front-office and coaching pieces from the best-run franchise in the NBA (multiple-time champion San Antonio Spurs) was smart. But then the Sonics have hit the ball out of the park in the luck category...landing a once in a generation player with the SECOND overall pick in the NBA draft when you don't even have the most ping pong balls in the lottery...it doesn't get much better than that.

As you can see, I'm excited. I'm got tons of material to write about, from player breakdowns, to a John Hollinger inspired statistical breakdown of our boys. I just hope you get to read it. And not even KD's 3-14 first half can bring down my enthusiasm.

No comments: